Customer challenges in wind power systems
The advancement in wind turbine technology has made today’s wind turbines more efficient and powerful than before. Increased integration of wind energy into the power grid impacts the grid’s stability, due to the inherent variable and uncertain nature of wind power.
Several factors contribute to such variability and uncertainty. For instance, more wind power can be available during low load conditions and vice versa making wind power a non-dispatchable resource of electricity. In addition, most of the larger wind farms are often located far from the main grid thus the produced surplus energy may not be added to the transmission network due to transmission constraints.
With the recent growth of the wind industry, these issues of instability and poor reliability of the system are expected to worsen. Along with these variability and uncertainty changes, wind farms can also suffer from different kinds of power quality issues such as harmonic distortions and low-voltage ride-through (LVRT), among others.
Merus® Solutions improving power quality
in wind power systems
- More profitable wind farm operations
- Defers investments for the upgrade of transmission and distribution grids
- Excellent low-voltage ride-through (LVRT)
- Compliance with demanding grid code criteria
- Enhanced grid stability with increased integration of wind generation
- Reduced losses without individual DC or AC converters
Benefits of Merus® ESS Energy Storage
in wind power system
- Supports wind farm operation (e.g., power and reactive power control)
- Peak power limit, power ramp limit
- Reactive power production (AVR, PF, Reactive Power Control)
- Black start functionality
- Participation in the frequency response services for additional revenue
- Storage of excess wind power production
- Large market price variations create earning opportunities
- Improves the profitability of wind power investment
Merus® Solutions for wind power systems
Merus® A2 is a scalable, versatile, and durable active harmonic filtering solution designed and manufactured in Finland using innovative Merus® technology.
Merus® Energy Storage System is a scalable lithium-ion battery energy storage system fully designed by Merus Power.
Merus® HPQ is an all-in-one power quality system for combined active harmonic mitigation and power factor correction.
Merus® STATCOM is a modular and modern Static Synchronous Compensator for demanding applications and heavy industrial loads.
Check out our related articles
We are excited to announce that Merus Power will be participating in Wind Finland 2023, taking place on October 4 in Helsinki, Finland at Kaapelitehdas….
Taaleri Energia has ordered a 30 MW/36 MWh battery energy storage system from Merus Power. The battery energy storage is to be built in Lempäälä,…
Merus Power and its local partner RWW Engineering are delivering active harmonic filtering systems to two South African wind farms during 2023. The deals include…
Check out our related references